YOUTH EXCELLING AND ATTAINING HOUSING (YEAH!) PROGRAM
The Youth Excelling and Attaining Housing (YEAH!) Program is an 18-month housing subsidy program intended to support youth who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, have other identified risk factors, are in financial need, and feel ready, with support, to live independently. The aim of the program is to support youth with working towards overall wellness, stability, and integration with their community so that they are capable and feel confident in maintaining market housing on their own once they complete the YEAH! Program.
The YEAH! Program works in the community to support youth with finding and maintaining safe, affordable, market housing, while encouraging their continued commitment to their goals around mental wellness, physical wellness, life-skills, education, and employment. The YEAH! Program offers support with housing searches, viewing places to rent, communicating with landlords, outreach support, individualized wellness planning, learning life-skills, group sessions focusing on psychoeducational and life-skills topics, connecting with education and employment support and opportunities, access to Food Bank, start-up supplies, and a rental supplement of up to $450 per month.
Who can participate?
• Are between the ages of 16 – 24 years old (youth can start the program beyond the age of 25, as long as they have completed a referral before they turn 25 years old).
• Are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
• Have other identified risk factors.
• Are in need of financial assistance (based on individual assessments).
• Are willing to live in the metro Vancouver/greater Vancouver area.
• Are willing to attend appointments with the YEAH! Program Case Manager at least once per month.
• Are willing to attend YEAH! Program monthly psychoeducational/life-skills group sessions.
• Are connected with at least one other professional whom provides them with support. They must meet with this person at least once per month. This may be a counsellor, psychiatrist, social worker, mental health worker, support worker, employment counsellor, or other professional.
• Are working towards becoming more financially independent.
• Have a plan to work towards life goals, such as education and/or employment.
• Agree to follow the program guidelines.
• Voluntarily wish to participate.
While in the program, youth are expected to meet with the YEAH! Program Case Manager at least once per month, meet with another professional support at least once per month, attend YEAH! Program group sessions at least once per month, and continually work towards life goals. Life goals may include vocational, educational, recovery-based, and other goals which support wellness, stability and integration into the participants’ community.
If you would like more information about the program, please contact:
Dustin – YEAH! Program Case Manager: 604-782-9417
If you would like to make a referral to the program, please refer by one of the following options:
• You can fill out the referral form online or print it out and complete it by hand. Watari YEAH Program Referral Form After you have completed the form, please submit it using one of the following methods:
o Email the form to Dustin@watari.ca
o Fax the form to 604-254-6985
o Drop-off the form at the Watari office at 678 East Hastings in Vancouver
• You can also call the YEAH! Program Case Manager at 604-782-9417 and the referral form can be completed verbally over the phone.